June 17, 2009

Improvements

Toni and I spent the day in and out of the shop, tooling over to Penland for a bagel and then lunch at the coffee house. It's been fun to see Ron over there, having a wonderful time, as far as I can tell.

I worked on a couple of ill-fated jars and then decided that we should attack the tool shed with everything we had. Unfortunately, I took that to mean a trip to Lowes (about an hour away) to buy BRACKETS! What was I thinking? Organization , I guess. Well after an entertaining trip to Banner Elk, NC we hauled almost everything out of the 'shed' to start the organizational parade.

the tool shed and some organization!

In other studio news, the pedestals are getting a makeover with new paint! I'll be using them at the Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands in a few weeks! They're basically boxes that fold flat when they are in transport, with a MDF board top with styro-foam inserts to give them rigidity. They are light, yet pretty strong for my big pots. The only thing that isn't so good is that they are cardboard and don't take water too well. But since they're just cardboard, their damaged bottom edge can be trimmed in their length without affecting the width of the 'box' and wooden top.

These pedestals are from Easy Pedestal out of Rhode Island.
I've had these for about 6 years, in the mostly damp conditions in the Mushroom Factory
and they're still in pretty good shape.

new paint on the old pedestal tops.

I worked this evening after the girls were put to bed and Stacey came back from her meeting, figuring out how to best use the new brackets! With music cranked on the stereo and hammering and cutting happening, I wondered what the neighbors must think sometimes. I thought of Tom Waits and this song.