November 17, 2009

greenware vases in Mark's shop

I wanted to share with you some pictures of our visit to our friends Courtney Smith and Mark Tomczak. I met Mark at Penland during my residency just as he was setting up his Muddy Creek Pottery . Mark had just earned his MFA at the University of Ohio at Athens. Mark and Courtney have moved again since then to their present home in Old Fort near Black Mountain, NC. Here's some pictures I snapped of Mark's pottery.



Mark has a beautiful little showroom full of pots!

some of Mark's pots are hump molded and they're all fired in a soda kiln!


notice the bowls on the top left shelf? looks a lot like the Rock Creek bowls
I tried myself the other night. seems like the subconcious is always at work!
;-)




our mutual friend Billy O'Steen outside of Mark's shop
getting a good look at the fall colors on the mountains in the evening light.
There is an apartment above the shop and showroom that Mark
and Courtney rent out to vacationers. The apartment is of course full of beautiful pots!