March 24, 2008

Recent Bird Watching


Birds Pot 1
side a


Birds Pot 1
side b


Birds Pot 2
side "a"



Birds Pot 2
side "b"


Here are a couple of pots from the firing xxvi. The figurative motif has always been intimidating, but I have felt for a long time that my floral landscapes on my pots needed some fauna. I have cartooned little bugs and such but all of a sudden I am getting the guts to put some birds on these pots. It's really not as scary as I thought. It's actually a lot of fun. Do you hav a favorite bird?

4 comments:

  1. Stunning. These are so well accomplished that I'm surprised to discover you've only just started to include fauna.

    Favourite bird - Debbie Harry, but that was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are nice Michael. I'd like to see them in person to get a feel for that white glaze. Enjoy some time relaxing this week, I know you worked it hard getting ready for Hickory.
    Favorite bird-Big Bird, but that was a long time ago.
    Nowdays...bluebirds and buzzards. (that might be a good name for a band)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your compliments. I usually practice on cups or plates which I then wash off if they're rotten. Most were, believe me. In addition I use india ink on whatever sort of paper is around, usually newpaper or wrapping paper from the showroom, to figure out the brushwork.I tend to stylize anything I paint and get a few brushstrokes figured out and off I go. It was a good step and can't wait to do more. I'm off to finish the new workshop, but meanwhile maybe I'll do some ink work in the evenings at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These jars are fab, I love the style. Favourite bird hmm, it's a toss up between my budgie and those naughty mountain parrots you get in New Zealand the Kea.
    I hope you got some good feedback from you show.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete