July 22, 2008

Michael's


So many Michael's in the world of pottery. Yesterday I mentioned Michael Simon, my teacher and true master potter of the universe. Today, somehow I came across another friend, Michael Cohen. I saw his name pop up in one of these Google ads which I'm not supposed to mention. I met Michael C. in Massachussets when I lived there, what seems like, yesterday. Michael had started a pottery guild in Amherst way back when and I joined up during my stay there. It was a great group of people, including Angela Fina, teaching this session at Penland, more about Angie later. Here is a great picture of Michael that was originally taken 196?, and updated with one of his now famous tiles. I include here a link to an interview of Michael by Gerry Williams in 2001 for the Nanette L. Laitman Documentation Project for Craft and Decorative Arts in America. (Is that some title or what?) It's such a long tile for a program that it's got to be part of the Smithsonian Institute, right? Right. And here is another of the Nanette L. Laitman Documentation Project for Craft and Decorative Arts in America's oral history interviews of Michael Simon from 2005 conducted by Mark Shapiro. Two interviews for Tuesday. It may take you a while to get through these, but they are well worth the read. You can also search/browse the Nanette L. Laitman Documentation Project for Craft and Decorative Arts in America interviews here. This Michael is out of breath and out of time.