June 16, 2010

Reemerging

last night's glorious crescent

Ah, summer is upon us, Solstice approaches and we're all busy getting things done. It may be pottery or in my case getting the shop finished. Actually I did a little while Buck Pollard and John Hagy did a lot.

Where to begin?

In preparation for my "Cousins in Clay" gig in Seagrove, Stacey reminded me that I needed to check in with Bruce and Samantha to see if there was anything I could do to help them set up their home and studio for the big weekend. It turns out that "apparently" Samantha's Dad had hurt his back and they needed me to come a little early. Bruce had a slightly hesitant tone in his voice and I thought that he just felt bad asking me to come early. "No problem," I said, and off I went to Seagrove.

After I washed some windows at the Bulldog Studio, Bruce discussed a plan to cover the windows for the slide presentation for Tommy McPherson that Saturday night. I was a little puzzled by this. Why did I just spend all that time washing a dozen sliding glass door-sized windows, just to have them covered? Hmmm...

I thought that Bruce and Samantha must have been under a lot of stress in preparing for the weekend that they just weren't thinking straight. So I went along with it patiently, not knowing that it was just a way to keep me busy during my extra day in Seagrove.

Well the weekend was a smashing success, and on Monday I came home to the fanfare of hugging, cold beers, and cheeseburgers on the grill! What did I see, though, as I glanced up the hill toward the shop? Someone had nailed a whole lot of boards to the side of the shop. Huh? At that point Stacey and the girls screamed, "Surprise!!!"

Stacey had cooked up a fantastic scheme to have the siding installed on the shop while I was away in Seagrove at the "Cousins" show! Everyone was in on it except me! The lumbermill, Buck and John, the girls! It was truly a wonderful surprise!

Stacey had called Bruce days earlier to set up the ploy to get me out of the way so that her plan could be implemented! John and Buck paced up and down the road as I finished packing the car with pots, waiting to get on the job.

Well they finished the back and the road side of the building and stopped there until this week when I helped them finish the "front" of the shop with the German lap siding I had picked up from Shawn more than two years ago.

before

after!

The siding was stickered and still in good shape, a little weathered, but sound. It gave the entrance of the shop a completely respectable and finished look and I'm sure that pottery fanactics will just flock to it's beauty!

john hagy, me, buck pollard

Thanks to my lovelies for this wonderful gift. Thanks to John and Buck for their hard work and craftsmanship!

And thanks for everyone for keeping their mouths mum (and restrained from blabbing on Facebook in their status updates)! As always, you're welcome to see for yourself when you're in the neighborhood. Come see us!