March 8, 2009

It Takes Three

3 sides of 1cup
Kline Cup, 2009
3.5" x 4.75"
local stoneware with kaolin swirl
underglaze brushwork,other slips
alkaline ash glaze
fired in Terry Gess' salt kiln
$60
(thanks Terry, nice job!)

When photographing a cup, it's hard to choose a side that conveys the pot's best features. I found it particularly challenging with this cup. So I took three pictures and welded them together with my favorite image handler, GraphicConverter! There seems to be a lot going on in this pot. When holding any pot we can take in its glory by turning it upside down, turning it around, all the while taking in its visual ingredients. Years later we can see things we hadn't seen before. The pot reveals its splendor in time. Capturing this in one picture is very difficult. I wish I could just pass this cup around. Maybe in the future we can get together. I'll be at the NC Potters Conference this coming week. If you're going to be there, drop me a line. michaeljkline[at]gmail[dot]com! Let's meet up!