January 4, 2013

From Here To Digital Eternity

swirlware cups

"Round and round we go, and where we stop nobody knows."

Here are some of the cups I packed to ship out today, I wanted to record these as they will be out of sight, and out of mind, soon and I found something in each that I wanted to save. To remember. Maybe in hopes that I would remember these qualities when I come back these forms again in the future.

Photographing the work has become easier and cheaper. But what is the cost to keep track of all of this stuff and why can't I find pictures that I actually need when asked by galleries? Is it in my iCloud? I'm sure there's an app to keep track of all these apps that hold various versions of these pics (or is it pix?) An app for an app for an app.

somewhere out there.

There are thousands of pictures on my various digital 'buckets' or 'bins' on this machine, or on various external hard drives, or saved on servers in some distant data center. Somewhere out there. Pity the archivist of the future. Which to save? Which to delete?

I'm not sure what I will do with all of these files and folders on the computer named "pottery" or "pots" or the very descriptive "pics". Go through them in my spare time?


meanwhile there is the work of the mind's eye,
the camera of the imagination.

i think I'll upload some of those pictures into some lumps of clay.