October 31, 2008

As Promised



It wasn't easy, but here are some slides that I shot from a light table. Sorry for the bad slides, I took them myself in my apartment in Brooklyn, NY. Both of these pots were made while I lived in New York City with Stan's Anderson's earthenware clay body. I got the recipe from an issue of Studio Potter magazine devoted to earthenware. I also used his glaze recipe. The colors were mason stains mixed with water (I think). There's nothing quite as captivating as a spiral, especially several spirals, is there? haha. They were very popular in the eighties. As I had mentioned in a previous post, I was making pottery at the 63rd St. YMCA in a studio that was really a glorified closet. All throughout the YMCA building were earthenware tiles made in Spain, donated by the Spanish King in the 1930's (?). The swimming pool had tiles all around it, the cafeteria, where the clay studio eventually moved to, had walls and floors of hand painted tiles. It's worth a visit if you're in the neighborhood. I haven't been there in twenty years so I can't promise they are still there, but most likely.

I was just beginning to use brushes and there was/is something about low fire earthenware that motivates one to use colr and decorate. You rarely see 'atmospheric' earthenware. I not sure what it is.