January 30, 2009

Blue Skies, Bailey's Peak, and Yunomi's

View of the pottery.
Bailey's Peak is to the right.
It's the Mt. Fuji of my little corner of the world!

Taking a lunch break from cutting firewood on this beautiful Friday afternoon! I've wanted to show some of the yunomi that Courtney Martin fired last weekend. Here are a few of my favorites, so far...

yunomi, 4.5" & 5" h.

My experience reminds me that putting one's pots in another person's kiln is a slightly risky proposition. Sometimes there's a payoff, sometimes it just doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's the mind's eye playing tricks or if expectations are unreliable. After all, expectation is a trickster!

yunomi, 3.75" & 4.25" h.

After sanding and grinding the bottoms and using them at dinner last night I'm convinced that I am lucky in more ways than one. For one, I'm lucky to have a neighbor kind enough to find space in her kiln. For two, I'm lucky that my minds eye guided me through the treacherous waters of expectation. So see for yourself and let me know what you think about these. There are more that I will sand and grind and photograph before I have to ship them out very shortly. I'll try to share those with you as well.

The new Studio Potter was in the mailbox yesterday and the new Ceramics Monthly today. BANG BANG! I'll try to get them read and send out my review shortly. I'm also reading "Talking with the Turners" and will finish that one up in the next few days if I get some time! The author, Charles Mack, has been so kind as to permit me to quote the book, as well as put some of the audio on the blog. So I will try to do that soon. In other media, Andrew Stephenson has loaned me a copy of the Issac Button/ Soil Hill Pottery video, that I hope to put here if I can. Check out Andrew's web site. It's very nice and informative.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you. Don't be a stranger!
Have a great weekend.