January 16, 2009

Meanwhile Below the R38

As cold as it might be here in the mountains of North Carolina, the shop was warm and cozy inside. This is a stove I got from Ron Meyers about 8 years ago. I traded some pottery and a pair of Stacey's earrings for it. Not bad. It's been heating our home ever since and now will keep the pots warm at night. It's Temp Wood stove, made in Adams MA, not far from where I lived in Worthington, MA. As a matter of fact Mark still uses one in the shop at Stonepool Pottery (aka, Stovepipe Pottery, or Stone Fool Party) .

Thanks to Micah Cain, who helped me "raise" the pipe into the flue and fit it. There is heat!


As I was saying in a previous post, the situation down at the house was thankfully resolved without incident, but the problem persisted in the pottery shop. No water!

Oh, no plumbing! Oh, I forgot, there isn't any.

So I went down to my runoff barrels down by the kiln shed roof and found the water in the barrels unmovable. RATS! (again) After chipping enough out to fill a barrel and scrounging, I mean sponging, enough out of my thawed reclaim buckets, I managed to get enough for my throwing pail.

It was a poignant moment since I hadn't thrown any pots since September , I think, and just as a tear was welling up in my eye, my iPod blasted Badfinger's "Baby Blue" in my ears.
All the days became so long
Did you really think, I'd do you wrong?
Dixie, when I let you go
Thought you'd realize that I would know
I would show the special love I have for you, my baby blue (substitute "my dirt so red")
After all that I managed to make three cups before lunch. I'm a pretty happy camper. More this afternoon, as the clay thaws...