January 8, 2008

More favorites from XXV

Here are a few more pots
that I have been sanding, grinding, and generally
getting a good look around.




3 gallon jar
black underglaze brushwork, yellow iron oxide glaze, glass.

This jar has nice glass drips around base which I am leaving for now, It sits pretty even. The pots with glass drips are fired on thrown rings, or stilts. The pots pops right off the ring after the firing. The I take the pot to a bench grinder, and finally a dremel tool to finish the grind. The glass I use comes from my glassblower friend Kenny Pieper who makes beautiful stemware in a Venetian style in Burnsville, NC. Check his work out here. The glass is placed on the handles after the pottery is stacked in the kiln. see the post Before and After XXV.



1 Gallon Jar
Underglaze black slip, yellow iron oxide glaze, glass.

Another pot with glass melts. In this case I placed the glass rods over the top since there are no handles. Placing the right amount of glass so that the glass gets to the bottom of the pot without running past the stilt and onto the shelf is critical and I have had to learn the hard way. There's no easy road to experience.





5 gal Jar
wax resist brushwork, white slip, salt glazed

Although a reasonable potter would fire glazeware in a glaze kiln and salt ware in a salt kiln, I do both in the same kiln. I have been doing that for quite a while. In recent years I have had the notion that these two formats work against one another. The salt has to be minimized to avoid completely losing glaze color. I may try to do separate firings in the future. This pot is large and its stout. The pots I have been looking at as examples are the 19 c stoneware pots of the Southeastern US. One of the characteristics of these pots is the way the line of the pot comes up from the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment