January 15, 2008

Still chasin after Seagle


I guess a lot of potters in this state of North Carolina who work in a rather traditional mode have tried to 'channel' Daniel Seagle a time or two with varying degrees of luck. I have been after this elusive form for a little while now, and those of you who have been keeping up with this blog (thanks) have seen this form before, a couple of times. Well I finally got around to getting a shot of this version from XXV. I would hope "better luck next time". It's a little bit stiff, and if you look closely you will see gouges from "trimming" that little bit of extra clay off. As my friend Mark would say, the alkaline glaze is especially "dendritic" because of the salt thrown into the kiln. This pot measures 8.25" tall by 7.75" wide at handles. I'll make more for XXVI, which should be happening a couple of weeks before my debut at the 2008 Catawba Valley Pottery and Antiques Festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment