January 23, 2010

Still Grey: Saturday



I'm feeling much better and even managed to split a truckload of firewood. Unfortunately as I take a little break to pause and reflect and have a Saturday afternoon candy break with the girls, the cord wood is still in the truck. As our wood pile has been getting down to nothing, it's good to know that we have some wood ready to burn.

So, here are a couple of pictures of the pots I made last week! I tried to get over this cold ASAP and stayed in bed for two days and feel fine now! Usually I try to work through a cold but it tends to hang around longer as a result. Now I'm ready to head in there on Sunday and get back to pottery work.

As you can clearly see, these two pots were too dry to reshape. To create the reservoir where the chickens can peck their little heads in for a cool drink of water, I cut the pot with my fettling knife parallel to the base and push the side of the pot in. I think I should do this when the clay is still a little softer, d'ya think?

Then I add a little coil of clay to the lower "jaw" to bring it's height up a bit, thus creating a vacuum. Or is it a vacuum? Hmmm. I'll have ask Stacey's Uncle A.J. ( he worked on the space shuttle!!) He's my go-to scientist! (That is, if I can't get a hold of my other rocket scientist pottery neighbor...)

That's all for now.

Keep on turning...