May 3, 2010

Faces of 35

Sorry readers, but I had too busy a day to sit down and sum up the firing. Maybe tomorrow? I've got a lot to do to get the place ready for our 1st Annual Kiln Opening!!! With the usual cleanup after a deco-rotation session in the studio, I also realized that the whole place needs a makeover by Friday!

Here are some of the faces of the firing of the kiln. Can't thank these folks enough!

lillian stoking in her jammies!

David Andrews still chipper after the"overnight"
David's son Elijah stoking the fire
Evelyn waiting her turn



Keith Phillips came out to lend a hand
and help me innovate a new salting technique!



Keith's son Greyson after retrieving the
salt board from the middle of the pond!

Alex Matisse staying cool
and hamming it up for the camera.

I have more pictures and video that I hope to share with you sometime soon. The firing went very well, considering my fatigue and near exhaustion from working the long hours for the last 3 weeks to get it all done. It was a beautiful day for a firing. The wind was a little gusty, but it had just a minor effect on the the overall firing.

The firing started at about 3:30 a.m. and ended about 9 the following night. The temperature was a little hotter than last firing by design. The majority of the load was made from a commercial stoneware and not my red dirt stoneware.

Tomorrow is Lillian's birthday and we're heading in top the big city of Asheville. I'll be pressing the overalls so's I'll be able to celebrate in style!

Until the next chance I get to sit down and compose...thanks for reading and supporting blogs about pottery!