August 15, 2010

Cylinders and Spheres

As I was chasing after a relatively basic shape, the cylinder, I thought that I should cover some other archetypal shapes. So I thought that I would make some closed sphere and "thought" of the possibilities for scrolling patterns on these round forms. But when I got to actually closing the forms, I couldn't get myself to do it. There's something about the vessel. Even with such an impractically small opening, these are still pots and within the realm of what I do. But I think that the spheres will actually be "rounder" when they are closed. I'll be able to rib them completely over the top and once the form is closed the air is trapped and the shape can be made round with ease (I hope)

I'll go for it tomorrow and let you know how my theory plays out.

More then...night night...