August 22, 2010

Daily Drawing Book



Let's get back to work!

Enough of this talk!

Well, it's not so easy, is it?

Well, here are some more drawings from the Drawing Book I've been working on for the show. I'm not sure how this will all play out on the pots since I tend to decorate and glaze "en masse". [that's french for en masse] I have several bisque firings under the belt already, so maybe I should take some time each day after some ink drawing to do a few pots!

Some of the stuff that is going through my head, when I stop to think about it, is an attention to the materials and the process. In this case pen, brush, ink, paper, crayon, etc. It seems that I'm most pleased when the drawings come off from pure exploration of these mnaterials, and not from my preconceived notions of what the drawings should be. The above is a good example of a discovery that just touching the wet page with a tiny tipped brush would create these beautiful dots where the ink spread. The colored page on the left is one of that separates "chapters" in the book. Each "chapter has 12 pages. I'm sure my bookmaker friends could tell us what this is called. Essentially each "chapter" is bound this way.

I have some beautiful pots that my friend Sam made. On some of those pots are great little picture framed images that I think he masks out with a paper after he has dipped the pots in slip, then brushes iron or some oxides over the slip then peels the paper off and paints an image that seems to over step its frame in a beautiful way. I'm not sure of the sequence, but I incorporated that technique with these drawings. See below one such example of Sam's design.





mmm, more dots


meow, meow