September 9, 2008

Heading Over The Mountain



In all seriousness, here is the "set list" for the upcoming conference at the troubled Arrowmont School. I hope that I will get to meet some of you if you're attending. I'm also looking forward to seeing some old friends. Usually these sessions are 2-3 hrs. These descriptions are usually pretty ambitious, with all the talk, question, and answer, I will be lucky to get a couple of the things on these lists done. But with just a little bit of focus...
for Thursday,
Demo #1 “Plates, Pitchers, Jars”

Description: I will throw small to large forms to be decorated. I will discuss my throwing evolution from “art school to old school”, tableware vs. bigware. A particular topic of discussion will be “capping”, a technique used in joining 2-3 sections of a pot.
and for Thursday/Friday
Demo #2 “Edges, Lids, Handles”

Description: I will finish pots from Demo #1 using wire cutter, fitting lids, and adding handles. Emphasis will be on preparing the pot for decoration, firing effects, etc. If time permits I will begin decoration demo.

Friday/Saturday,

Demo #3 “deco-rotation”

Description: I will survey the many surface strategies I employ, including underglaze brushwork, wax resist, dipping, pouring, slip trailing. Discussion emphasis will be on surfaces and firing with wood and salt.
I think I may end up doing more on the brushwork end of making, since that is something that not many people will be doing. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the demo's myself, especially Ursula Hargens and Bruce Cochrane! Of course I've always wondered how Ayumi makes her pots and will hopefully get to see her as well. There will be surprises and inspiration, no doubt. I will try to blog while I am there. I'm not sure how, we'll see.

Today, I'll get my clay ready, assemble the tools I'll need, and pack a few pots that will serve as finished examples. I'll be bringing some pots that will be for sale as well, so bring your checkbooks or debit cards!

Boy, yesterday was a big day on the blog, over 400 page views! Wow! If you're new, sign up with my commenting service, Disqus, and join in the fun, leave a comment, let us know what you think.
Thanks for reading.

P.S. Thanks for all the joke suggestions, here's just one from my mother-in-law, Jackie, who, like me, loves a bad pun:
A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital.

When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was,

a nurse said, 'No change yet.'