February 9, 2009

Bird's Eye View


We had a nice hike up to a hill behind our house yesterday. Here is a nice view of the surrounding hills and the pottery nestled below. It reminds me of one of those landscape paintings from China or Japan, that shows the magnificently grand landscape surrounding some teeny tiny human activity within it. This little walk is sort of "straight up" through a Christmas tree farm just behind our 'homestead'. The weather was unseasonably warm and it was great being out. The pointy peak is called Bailey's Peak and can also be seen from the Penland School as well as west in Burnsville. I don't know the elevation of the Peak, but it's got to be over 3000' since our house is about 2600'. The Peak was part of a recent real estate fraud involving international intrigue and millions of dollars. Here's a story.

I just thought I would share this as I sit here at my dial-up connection waiting for my airline flight is being confirmed. tick, tock, tick, tock.

I'm going to Manhattan, Kansas to teach a workshop at Kansas State University in a few weeks. I hope to go check out the Nelson Museum in Kansas City while I'm there. Does anybody want to meet up? Let me know if you'll be around on the 26th of this month!

Have a great Monday!