February 7, 2009

Stick To The Program

early stage of work table

I've been slogging along this week, knocking out 'little' details here and there. I built a newish work table and revamped my wedging table. The work table is a little narrower and longer than my previous table to accommodate the space and is scabbed from a table I got from my project buddy, John Snyder. I surrounded the base with a beefy 2X8 skirt and reinforced top for a slamming good time. I will spend a lot of time at this table and I want a table that I can really hammer on as well as sit comfortably to paint pots . I still have to put drawers in the table to hold "stuff".

new old wedging table and
yet to be used bag of Tom Turner
porcelain waiting
in B/W

The wedging table isn't what I had planned to build, but I needed something fast and I'll reschedule my dream table for after the next firing. This is the table I originally built at Penland in 1998 and then moved to the Micaville studio. It originally had a concrete top but had been removed to make it a little lighter to move. But last summer I 'temporarily' installed the table outside and screwed 3/4 inch plywood to the top. It worked fine! I cut some 30 degree angles in the rails that hold the bats below for a slight improvement. I still need to install my wire clay cutter and get rid of that tacky early 21st century injected molded plastic drawer organizational system.

Since I'm still waiting for the power company to come (Wednesday!!!) to pull the main wire and hence have power for my pug mill, I went ahead and installed the old wedging table so I could slam mix/wedge my reclaim.
Just more exciting news from the shop that I wanted to let you all in on!