February 2, 2009

Shavings

This morning, after some discussion, I decided to start a project that wasn't on my list this week, It's probably on some long lost list somewhere from years ago. Let me explain...Maybe a year ago I ripped a wall down in our bedroom and put new drywall in its place. In the process I took the door and the trim out. Since then, (it may have been two years???) we haven't had a door on our bedroom. Today was the day to start back on this long overdo project. Of course, being me, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy the use of my Dad's old hand plane (technically, it's called a "jack plane") and thus prolonging the experience and the project.

Yay.

It was such a balmy 45*F that I thought it would be great to distract myself outside(again). Here is a shot of the first hand planed board I worked on this morning. I may do a little carving on it as well. (I hope Stacey doesn't read this for a few days!) Maybe it's selfish of me to involve myself in such an experience, but I can't help myself. I love doing it. Isn't that the point of working? Shouldn't it be? Yes and but who's going to be able to pay me for hand made pottery these days, much less a hand planed board??!! Don't get me started on the impending doom!

Back to my pottery reality this afternoon as I am going to get back to some clay work. Reclaimed red dirt is ready for me and as is Tom's porcelain. Which way do I jump? We'll see...hehehe.
Later.

P.S. Check out Doug Fitch who has just opened up his kiln full of beautifully warm earthenware!