February 8, 2011

Check 1 2

The eKiln firing is just about finished. I reached temperature, (cone 7 down, cone 8 at a half) about 1:30. I let the kiln soak for a bit and now it's firing down. It's very windy and cold out there and I'd like the kiln to cool slower than it wants to, which is super fast! The only reason being that I'm inexperienced and want to err on the side of caution!

The kiln has about 25 pots in it and I could have put a lot more work in there but, again, wanted to minimize the risk and take a wait and see before committing more of my pots.

The following are a couple of examples of my visual "note taking". It's a real easy way to keep track of some of the deco-rotation strategies for future reference (I'm much better at visual information). I'll take pictures of the finished pots too, and keep them in a folder on the computer.


I'll unload in the morning, I guess. I have no idea how long it will take to cool. Maybe I'll do a video-unloading! But in the meantime, I'm getting out the home clay and starting a wood kiln cycle for some upcoming spring shows.

Coming soon: a new guest-blogger post by Don Pilcher!